Only Shimano e-Type front derailleurs will fit. Due to the 40mm seat tube diameter no clamp will fit.
Please use the correct parts for Hollowtech II cranks (LX/XT/XTR). Older models for Octalink do not fit (different chain line).
Do not use the plastic washer coming with the derailleur. The derailleur has to be bolted directly to the frame!
Which derailleurs can be used on the 901
All current 2009 model Shimano (SLX, XT, XTR with shadow technology) and SRAM (X.7, X.9, X.0) derailleurs, as well as all older SRAM models can be used. The use of older model Shimao derailleus (with large cable bow) is not recommendable, as these do not harmonize with the new super smooth and direct cable routing.
Therefore only SRAM and Shimano Shadow derailleurs fit:
• Direct cable guide without unnecessary bends in the routing
• Less getting caught of trees and branches
• No unnecessary friction loss through small radii
For hard off road riding:
• No banging of the derailleur against the chainstay
• Noise and wear reduction
My frame has a dent in the seat tube - what now?
It is all good! The dent has been placed deliberately to make room for the derailleur...
If it creaks in the rear under light or heavy chain torque:
- Deinstall cassette from freewheel body. Apply anti-seize compound or thick grease to freewheel body. Install as usual. (In 95% it is the cassette making the noise.)
- Replace quick-release axle with new Mavic or Shimano XT, better/lighter Shimano XTR 07.
Installing the cable of a HammerSchmidt crank correctly
In order to get the perfect cable routing for a HammerSchmidt crank, use shrinking hoses (such as the Thick wall Type offered by Hellermann Tyton) and with this attach the cable to the shifting cable.
Double fork crowns mounted in a 901
The 901 can be assembled with double fork crowns, yet the frame itself does not feature a fork stop that prevents the frame from being damaged in case of a crash (most downhill frames do not have this). This is to say that if you please to mount one anyways, the down tube as well as the top tube can suffer dents.